You’re probably wondering, “How is natural gas used for electricity?” The United States relies on many energy sources to generate electricity that can power the entire country. They include nuclear energy, renewable energy, and fossil fuels like natural gas, coal, and petroleum. So, how is natural gas used for electricity in the United States?
Natural gas is the largest electricity-generating source in the United States. In 2020, about 40 percent of U.S. electricity generation came from natural gas. The gas can work in gas and steam turbines to generate electricity. Most electricity gets generated by steam turbines using fossil fuels and nuclear power.
Here are the things you should know about the use of natural gas for electricity.How is natural gas used for electricity generation? Find out the applications of natural gas in power generation. #sapphiregassolutions Click To Tweet
Types of Power Systems
- Hydroelectric Power Systems: These power systems use flowing water to spin turbines connected to generators. It generates about 7.3 percent of U.S.power.
- Wind Power Systems: Use wind energy to spin generators to produce electricity. Accounts for 43 percent of power generation from renewable sources.
- Biomass Power Systems: Biomass gets burned in steam-electric power plants or converted to gas that can burn in gas turbines and steam generators.
- Solar Power Systems: Depend on solar-thermal and photovoltaic (PV) power to generate electricity. PV produces electricity from sunlight in photovoltaic cells.
- Geothermal Power Systems: Use steam turbines to produce power. Notably, geothermal power plants generated 0.5 percent of U.S. electricity in 2020.
Power Generation: Natural Gas’s Role
Natural gas is a rapidly growing energy source worldwide. Although it’s a fossil fuel, the emissions generated from its combustions are lower than oil or coal. Gas-powered power systems burn natural gas to generate electricity. Natural gas can get used in gas turbine generators, steam generation units, and gas-fired turbines.
Natural Gas Benefits
Clean burning natural gas produces low emissions, making it environmentally friendly. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), burning natural gas emits fewer greenhouse gas emissions than burning coal. Here are the other benefits.
- Natural gas is abundant in nature, making it more reliable
- The U. S. uses natural gas and renewable resources in tandem because of the versatility it offers.
- It contributes significantly to the U.S. economy
Sapphire Gas and Electricity Generation
How is natural gas used for electricity generation? Well, it burns to generate electricity in gas and steam turbines. You now know the use of natural gas in power generation. All you need to do now is get natural gas from reliable suppliers like Sapphire Gas Solutions. We offer high-quality compressed and liquefied natural gas services.
Contact us today for affordable natural gas solutions.